Friday, January 1, 2010






I woke up this morning and things seemed a little different. The house was very quiet. I heard none of the sounds that I generally equate with waking. Their were no breathing sounds, the clock made no noise, the wind was not howling, the refrigerator made no humming sound and the clanking of the furnace was not there.  As I proceeded to the bathroom the sound of me was there, but nothing else, my feet across the carpet, the creaking of the door and the water making its way down the drain.  Outside there was a fresh coat of snow on the ground. It was as if today was fresh, everything was new, waiting to be discovered.


The silence continued as I made my way down the stairs, (backwards saying rabbits, rabbits of course!).  This is when i realized why no breathing sounds. The family made it to midnight as I conked out at 8:30.  They were all sleeping quietly on the couches. I knew they were there and as i focused in on them I heard their slumbered breathing.  The cat starts to move, the refrigerator awakens for a moment and the furnace begins its morning battle to start the day.


Why am I awake? There is no work today,everyone is asleep  yet I want to move about and do something.  There is always work to be done here at the BBC.  During my walk here I think of all the things I can get done in the dark while all is quiet. I will organize the kitchen, prep the tomorrows specials, mop the floors, re-stock the paper items, do some bookkeeping the list is endless. The walk down as always awakens me and I am ready for the New Year to start with me in control beginning now!!


Well maybe before I start I will play one game of solitaire and free cell. Oh yeah I have this silly Sponge Bob camera of Owen's that I need to figure out.  I also have been trying to set up a skype time with my sisters and parents. I should check on those things.  Four hours later it is time to get  ready for the family events of the new year and besides winning $182 in solitaire, playing and winning 3 games of Free Cell , hooking up this camera that takes blurry pictures I have done nothing productive.  I still know that this year is going to be the year that things get done. Maybe they wont all be done today but they will get done, really right after this game of solitaire. 

PS I did manage to make a gingerbread trifle for today, and took 2 pictures of it with Owen's             Sponge Bob camera!!!

2 comments:

Liza said...

Yum! Gingerbread trifle looks great!

Unknown said...

so i checked out the podcast waiting for you to update....would love to add yours to what i download every night (i just listen to podcasts when i am in the kitchen (which is basically half of my day. so one of my all time favorites is This American Life with Ira Glass (listen to the xmas podcast recorded live..) and my other favorite is Krista Tippet on Speaking of Fatih. But I download like 45 different ones, it is free and it keeps me from getting to wrapped up in my own thoughts...>!