Wednesday, January 20, 2010

No.3



The walk into work this morning was beautiful. I walked down the streets staring at the snow covered scene. From the snow on the houses to the cat prints in the snow it was mesmerizing. When I rounded the corner to Main Street I saw the church steeple sprouting from the treetops . (I wondered why were there no Christmas lights. Less than a month after the holiday most signs of it are gone?)It felt like a movie set. Was I in South Berwick Me or Ridgefield Ct or, I thought, even Europe.

Recently I heard a report on how babies cry with accents. You know like here in the states a baby goes wah wah wah, but in France it would go wa wa wa. Liz says that that makes perfect sense. After all when the baby is invetro(?) it hears what is around and then when it is born it will mimic those sounds.

I continue my walk to work. I think that I go to work early in the morning for many reasons. It is peaceful and serene and most importantly I feel that it is a "magic" time. Things happen in these hours that we do not even know but somewhere in our bodies we appreciate all that happens when we are unaware. Things like snow removal, street cleaning, road maintenance, stocking of the grocery store, baking of morning pastries.....These things happen and we are not aware so it makes it seem like magic.

For some reason I think that the brain operates on a different level at this time. Things that to me seem impossible suddenly might actually be possible. I will never get tired, be able to work all day as if it was the beginning, make croissants, be finished before we open, over come the time space continua m, take a vacation, live in Italy....Why do I think that these and much more is possible in the middle of the night but as soon as 6 am hits they are not?

The answer my friend is blowin in the wind!!! It is because somehow during this magic time we(I?) am more us. The outside forces are removed. There is no one telling why this can't happen. The humming of man made forces is far less than in the middle of the day. Liz says that it is because I do not get enough sleep and I start to see things a little askew. And as the 6:00 hour approaches I think she may have a point!!! But it isn't 6 yet so I still hold onto the magic theory. I know that anything is possible.

I pass the picturesque church. Where am I? If babies can have accents can trees or any plant? What about the items made with those trees? What about the energy of the builders? What about my own energy? This scene I am walking in is sparking a memory, whether it is a real memory or just a dream I had I am not sure. I am now walking down lower main street in South Berwick Me USA. If I close my eyes and breath slowly and think of this memory I can time travel. I know I can do this. I continue to walk, my eyes closed, breathing, thinking of the countryside covered in snow. I can see the smoke coming out of the cottage in the distance. I can smell the cocoa being heated on the stove. Holy cow I have done it!! I am in the swiss alps!! Wait this isn't real, it is a painting. It is the package of Swiss Miss cocoa from my childhood!!!

The timer is going off and the sun is coming up. Maybe I can't do anything, but maybe I can, or maybe I can do anything when the stars are out and the wind is blowing just right.

3 comments:

Liza said...

Thanks for this lovely post Phil! Wish I could stop by for some sticky buns one of these mornings.

Wen said...

The wind comes and the wind goes- As Emily Dickinson said 'I am learning to adjust my sails in the wind'- or something to that effect. Keep imagining!

Unknown said...

....at 6am or early in the morning after we wake up, we are much closer to the angels that are so busy when we are asleep. that magic u feel, that 'I can do anything' spirit come from the angels that watch over and protect and guide you when you are sleeping and when you are not conscious, or in other words, it is God! waking and sleeping are different states of awareness. day-consciousness brings us knowledge of the world. Night-conscious brings us knowledge of the self. Thoughts are gifts to humanity from higher beings. In particular thoughts relating to our personal destiny come to us from our guardian angel (God!.
please phil, dont ignore those morning thoughts!! I love knowing that you have this time to yourself. and dont let the days keep you from that time to reconnect with your spiritual self!! xo