Monday, September 21, 2009

To Be or Not To Be





I was watching When Harry met Sally the other day. There were many things that I wondered about when watching this movie. One was, how could this be on ABC Family? Then of course I thought have I turned into one of those prudish parents who likes to keep sexually oriented things away from my kids? Or maybe it wasn't  family time (3:00 Sat. afternoon) the kids should be outside playing, the parents inside watching tv . I just found this to be odd.

What I really got out of the movie was all the people in the background!! It is weird, I think that I have spent the last 20 years of my life figuring out how to do things when no one is around! Before the BBC I would always work nights and weekends. My time off was when everyone else was working. No lines at the grocery store, how many people would go to a matinee on a Tues afternoon!!, when i would venture to the mall there were not as many people and the bars were not nearly as crowded or noisey on a Monday or Tuesday.

Now I am a business owner. My business is nestled between two small communities, I believe the population of the two towns is less than 5,000? I generally think it is the perfect situation. Then I see this movie, I also spent a day in downtown Newburyport MA over the summer, and wow there are people all over the place!! Do I want this? What would it be like to have a business in a place where people hang, not a business where people hang. Don't get me wrong the best part of this place is that people come here to hang. I guess it is just that I keep thinking I need to try hard,to do better and more is better.

Shoot I have only been here for six months. We are doing better than before, we see way more people come through our doors than at the old place 1 block away.

That was last week. I am not really sure where I was going with all that. Here is my re-cap so that I can move on. Seeing people in bustling downtowns over that past few weeks made me wonder, would the Black Bean do well in a well traveled area. My conclusion is that I don't want to find out just yet. We are a great business in a great local. I am a lucky man to be able to do what I do and to do it where I do. When I need a fix of crowds I will take a trip to Portsmouth. Now I will relish my life in the hamlets of South Berwick and Rollinsford.


2 comments:

Molly Colman said...

Don't ever think of leaving! We just need to make sure Rollinsford and South Berwick become more bustling. South Berwick now has nearly 8,000 people and I'm not sure how many Rollinsford has. We need to make sure that those who live here, shop, eat, and play here.

Liza said...

Hey Phil, How about a link to my review of relish?

http://knittingalife.com/2009/07/27/relish/

And just so you know, I am sure you'd do just fine in a busier place, but it is nice to know your are there in Rollinsford whenever I can come back.