Monday, August 18, 2008

sunshine




Do we all have a correct view of who we are? I think of myself as very objective even when it comes to me. Although this past two weeks I am questioning my abilty to look at myself the way others may see me.

This started from many things. The biggest being that it suddenly occured to me that a few people in my life do not see in themselves what I (and I assume the rest of the world) see in them. For example someone who is offering advice on health, yet they do not realize that they are always having health issues. Or someone who talks about serenity and keeping centered and they come across as anything but centered and calm. Naturally for me I started to think what is wrong with everyone? Am I the only clear person out there. Then I remembered one of those wise offerings from an elder in my life many years ago, "what seems to bother you in others is what is bothering you.". Could it be true? Am I not what I think?

I started to pay closer attention to myself and what I got back from others. It is true I am not the happy go lucky person I think I am. The person who nothing bothers,the one who sees the positive in things nor am I always as clear as believe myself to be.

So I am going to try and correct the problem. I could take the easy way out, and just accept my perceived persona. The problem is that I do not think that I am really that negative and I do not want to be a down sort of person, although I do get off on complaining and whining!! As of now a more positive and up person I will show to the world.


To kick off my new attitude I would like to happily share an old family recipe for corn bread. We call it Spider Cornbread.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups white or yellow cornmeal
2 Tbs. sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3 cups buttermilk or soured milk preferred or regular milk
Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]



Directions:

Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder and mix well. Melt butter in a 12 inch black cast iron skillet with oven proof handle in a preheated 400F. Beat eggs well and beat in 2 cups buttermilk. Then combine with dry mixture to moisten well. Remove skillet from oven, tilt pan to evenly coat the butter in the pan. Pour in the cornmeal batter and immediately pour on the remaining cup of buttermilk. Do not mix in. Return to oven and bake about 30 minutes or until top is pale golden and tester inserted comes out clean. Don't overbake. Serve hot, cut or scooped from the pan with additional butter. Note: stone ground cornmeal will have a different texture than other types of cornmeal. If you don't have a cast iron skillet, cornbread may be baked in a 9 x 13 pan. The name "spider" refers to the type of pan, an old cast iron pan with "feet"



Spider Cornbread serves/makes 6

Enjoy yourselves!!! I'll write again soon!
Phil

6 comments:

roddo said...

OMG-what a painfully cheery post!!! you are obviously not the dour, depressed, bitter, overly sensitive guy we all thought you were!!!!i want to be your friend!!!! cornbread all around!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

PHIL!

I told you I'd comment...and how perfect it was to see this darling video. It really perked up the darling dorm room for 2 minutes. Things are a little tense around here...the roommate apparently has SEVERE anxiety issues. Like kept-me-up-all-night-having-panic-attacks severe. More on that later...but I look forward to more sun shiny moments courtesy of you. Happy Sunday...and an even better Monday.

P.S. I bought some Hoffmans Sharp yesterday and am about to make a killer Franwich sans Homefries in the dorm kitchen. Maybe I'll start my own blog...dorm kitchen. Another day...

Jay Dee Aytch said...

how introspective of you phil. i think more people need to do the same rather than looking at others flaws. the classic "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" comes to mind (yes thats in the Bible, do you know where?).

i figured i would comment even though this is nothing of substance so you at least know i was here.

jwinklerwilliamson said...

Everybody needs somebody to whine to...I have a whining pal and I'd be lost without her...

Jay Dee Aytch said...

heres the link to my angry post.

http://moveonegeneration.blogspot.com/

also, where can i find that gadget that stalks the people who look at my page? is it under tools or most popular or something?

..ashley.. said...

well, you were hilarious and awesome tonight, if that helps!